Rooms

Rooms - James L. Rubart My rating of this is a 3.5, but since I cannot do 1/2 stars, I'll go on the generous side. Let me also start off by stating very clearly that this novel is Christian Fiction. Very strongly so. That is fine with me but I know some do not enjoy reading it and the plot synopsis does not exactly share that crucial tidbit.

So there is my first urging to all readers-if this novel's Christian basing does not match your beliefs, there is a good chance you will not enjoy this book. Even for me, as a Christian, I can see this book as being potentially intimidating and how the path to God is shown here would have bothered me deeply, even if it is taken to an extreme. When I first grabbed the book, I did not know if was a religious novel so the original summary does not express that at all and I feel that it should. I have since read a few variations that have improved upon this, luckily for future readers.

The story itself was enjoyable for me. Micah starts of as a wealthy, worldly man who gets a strange inheritance in the form of an amazing and very special house. I want to quickly interject here that upon his first tour of the house I would LOVE to live there myself! Some of the rooms he discovers are fantastic, others a bit more disturbing, but each is very unique.

Micah's journey and transformation was quite interesting. What an experience! I cannot say too much on this without giving anything away though. And at the same time I would not want to live the dual lives he finds himself in.

The messages in this book are great but a bit over the top in how they are expressed, even for a novel. While it's form is spot on, the presentation needed a lot of polishing as did the writing. These things cost a the book for me. it was predictable. Parts were too outlandish to match the rest of the book and characters seemed like they needed a lot of polishing up in my opinion.

Still I enjoyed reading it. A fun read for Christians, but if your faith differs or is shaky this may not be the book for you as the messages and the manner in which they are laid out are a bit "preachy."