Homegrown Terror

Homegrown Terror - Steve      White This was an okay read. The writing style seems geared more toward younger readers and honestly reminded me more of a chapter book I would have read in elementary school. Yet the story is geared to young teenagers.

Kendra has been raised as the perfect soldier. Taken by the NSA as a very young child, she grown up trained by handlers to protect her country. What I did like was that Kendra is a good balance of abilities and flaws. SHe is smart, thinks fast on her feet and tough. Yet she makes mistakes and sometimes bad judgement calls to. You can see the teen part of her surfacing at times like saying goodbye to friends, reuniting with her "parents" (handlers) and getting hurt.

Sadly I struggled making peace with this book. It read too fast. A lot happens in this book but I felt like I was being told the story. Not shown. From office intern to tortured captive and more this book just keeps plowing along but I wasn't able to visualize things. I would have loved to had a better idea what was happening, what she or others locked like, etc. This same dilemma also left me unable to feel for her or the situation. I was an overall empty void reading this.
Being book 1 at only 100 pages I would have felt better if the story took just a bit more time describing things, the characters, etc. For me, that is crucial in a novel.

Overall this was a fairly clean read. Advise for late elementary to middle grade readers. There is one thing that makes it a bit more mature and that is when she is being "tortured" she is referred to as being naked. So there is that part to be aware of for younger readers.
2.5 stars as a young adult/teen novel.
3 stars as an older kids/middle grade novel.

*I received a digital copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions expressed are strictly my own*