Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity

Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity - Katherine Boo Half heartbreaking, half boring. While it i a moving tale of brutal poverty, I just could not get into this. and it was even told in story manner but still...

What this book does do is give me pause to how easy I actually have it in life. Even though I struggle and I think how bad it is when bills come in ,collectors come calling and I wonder if I can even afford the electric bill, at least I have the options. I have a home, food, entertainment options, utilites, doctor care, etc. This outlook leaves you grateful for working 2 jobs to keep money flowing. Here, life is cutthroat the extreme. On the plus, we see how inventve pne can be when up against a wall and need cash.

This is despairing and depressing! The people in this are awful to one another! I wish for the old' ol days on neighborhood bbq's and such but I will take my worst neighbor any day over anyone in this book. Everyone must lookout for themselves. And one of those places where, 'if I am unhappy or unwell, everyone around me must be made to be worse off than I am.

So was I just depressed, bored, miserable or shocked at what I just read? The answer is all the above. Part of me has heard this tale of woe before from other voices and Katherine Boo did not rise to meet the interest of others. Yet to put it down was not possible either.