The Reluctant Assassin (W.A.R.P.)

The Reluctant Assassin - Eoin Colfer This was a wonderful time traveling adventure! This is the first book I have read by Eoin Colfer and I am sure it will not be the last. He does a good job bringing two different worlds together in a frantic game of cat and mouse.In current time we have young Chevron, a 16 year old FBI agent who is hustled away from being further known by the public. She is sent to London, to 'baby-sit' a pot with the instructions to notify her new superior if anything comes out. For 6 months she is bored when suddenly a boy materializes holding a knife over a mutated man. The boy, Riley,is from the past 110 year ago and warns her that Garrick is Death and is coming for him!This book is creative and fast paced! At first I was baffles about a 16 year old being in the FBI but that does get explained. At least enough to make the story flow along. Chevron and Riley are constantly trying to run away from Garrick, who is one deadly opponent! I loved Riley's character the best. He seemed very down to earth, practical, caring, smart and fun to be around. While the plot jumped around between the three main characters' points of view, Riley's is one I would have liked to see more. Chevron seemed to have a neat personality, with a sassy edge but I just couldn't get quite as into her. Garrick annoyed me. Also, he is merged with another man after he travels through time which muddles his character too much for my taste. Again, the pace was great for most of this book. Constantly moving forward, while unfolding lots of back-story on the characters. While parts of the book were predictable it was still an enjoyable read and the ending does leave you wondering what is ahead in the next book! *I received a copy of this book from Disney Book Group in return for a fair and honest review. No money or gifts were exchanged/involved. The opinions stated in this review are my own!