The Lost King (Star of the Guardians, Vol 1)

The Lost King - Margaret Weis This (along with the other 3 books in the series) is a fantastic story. I loved seeing what Margaret Weis did on her own and these stories showed me just what this great author is capable of! I knew her mainly for her fantasy works with Tracy Hickman so it was a shock and treat to read this science fiction series. Being I am a big Star Wars fan this story was right up my alley of interest. But the author definitely showed she own spark of creativity and twist.The story line actually starts before the books beginning. Years prior there was a revolt occurred and the king, prince and princess were murdered. The heir to the throne disappeared. Years later we discover seventeen year old Dion. he grew up in a simple lifestyle and is thrust into a large universe and informed he is the heir by Derek Sagan and Maigrey Morianna (and how I LOVE her character). The two were former guardians and have there own history with each other being mind-linked. There is also Tusk, a mercenary who is initially hired to take Dion away from his home planet and befriends him through along the way. Each character is memorable and wonderful. Initially thought to be a trilogy, it is actually four novels. I highly recommend them all. I first read this series back in middles school and read them so often I quite literally wore through them and had to replace a few of them.