The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus Series #1)

The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus Trilogy, #1) - Jonathan Stroud A very interesting and fun read. Bartimaeus is an unforgettable character and very witty. Well done Jonathan Stroud for a well invented young adult, fantasy novel. I ended up enjoying this book more than I thought I would.When I first started reading, the pace was a bit...well, I guess scattered is the best way to put it. But Stroud quickly picks up the pieces and creates a unique and thorough environment and story. The book is written in two styles. The first is first person with Bartimaeus. He is a djinn with quick wit and lots of random thoughts (which the author even added as footnotes). The other is third person and focuses on Nathaniel. He is a magician's apprentice who summons Bartimaeus for a small case of revenge.The story bounces between these two as the adventure moves along and a little game of revenge gets to be so much more than either thought it could. Bartimaeus starts off warning the boy early on that he was over his head...what an understatement. Or is it? Truly a good read.