Colour Wielders

Colour Wielders  - Dawna Raver A most enjoyable fantasy! However, I would like to state right off that this is not a YA novel. Content is definitely more appropriate for mature audiences. So while the cover may look sweet and innocent, this book is not.This story has several key characters, but the perspectives are with young Quinn, a 22 year old who has been rushed into a whole different reality, and Arik, of the Magykal Realm. This book kicks us into high gear right from the beginning with the end of a sex scene that quickly becomes quite violent for Quinn. Soon she is left questioning who her father is, who she can and can't trust and more. Then there is Arik. I love his character. The good guy with the chip on his shoulder and can therefore easily come across as the bad guy. I almost always love that character complex though. Arik has been around for quite a while and seen his share of good and evil. Yet ties with family and friends have been tested over the years and now he tries to stand alone, both sides wanting him. But want Arik wants is Quinn, and he feels he can't have her.Yes, there is also some sweet (and not so sweet) romance here too. Although the romance is why I am not a big fan of Quinn as well. After being used by a changeling at the beginning, then falling for a Highlander named Devin (under an influence but still) within a day, then literally hours after making out with him, she plasters herself to Arik. Tricked or not, she burns through the men WAY too fast for me.Anyways, in this story we also have Loki (yes THAT Loki, trickster God), Morgana Le Fey and other wonderful characters both common and original. Dawna Raver did a great job breathing (or writing I should say) life into each character. Various personalities, stories, expressions, and styles of speech made them all endearing. Lots of myth and Celtic references, a bit over the top, especially when it isn't English. Also, while I liked how the story draws you in right away, the first few chapters is just too much to process right away. Also, time lines seem a bit jumpy but there are two realms so that may be causing it, I just don't know.Otherwise, I really liked this. Each characters had different motives and purposes. Some good, others less so. The cool thing is, you never fully know who is going to be good or what secrets some of them have, until the end. The author does a great job to keep the reader wanting answers, but withholding just enough to keep them going. Also the use of colors to determine energy, health, emotions, etc I thought was very neat. And often pretty to hear described. I would have loved to see things through Quinn's eyes the first time she sees them. I look forward to the next book in this series!