Firebolt

Firebolt - Adrienne  Woods Where is the next book?! I want more.... Can you tell I enjoyed this? This was an interesting blend of medieval fantasy mixed with some more modern urban fantasy. Lots of Harry Potter-like qualities to this book. And a book any fan of the aforementioned series should check out!

I had so much fun reading this book. It wastes no time getting right into the story. Elena is constantly moving around with her dad. Always running from bold text: something. One particular night on the run they are suddenly attacked by dragons. Next thing Elena knows she is in another world and her father is dead. Great things are expected from her and she is thrust into the school of Dragonia. There she learns of magic, dragons, Dragonians and more.

Elena is your average, run-of-the-mill teenager. Clumsy, speaks her mind, average skills, etc. The one thing she excels at are riddles, which is amusing as she apparently doesn't like them. She is easy to relate to being she is not your over-the-top heroine. The book is first person as her. Her mind is an easy-going, comfortable place to sit back and enjoy the ride.

The world she has entered is very similar to our own. They have cars, museums, shopping centers, "cell" phones, etc. Yet theirs is better even than what we have. Plus they have Dragons. In fact, about half of Elena's new classmates are dragons in human form. She has a lot to learn in this school and she struggles through it all. Elena also uses an adorable phrase: "For the love of blueberries." This made me smile every time I read it.

The school really reminds me of Harry Potter. Not in the magic sense but the classes, friendships, mix of the regular word and the magical, etc. Subtle things. Aspects of Eragon, Lord of the Rings, and other stories are also evident.

I love the characters. Over flirtatious Brian, Prince Lucian, sweet Sammy, courageous Becky and the enigma...Blake. I so wanted more about him. Alas, I must wait for the next book.

This book was read almost entirely in one sitting. Very entertaining and well-paced. A great balance or story and action. A bit predictable so far though. Not necessarily a bad thing though, while how it is written. But I did want to jump in and shake a character with the truth of certain matters. Although some of these "truths" are yet to be told in this book so there is a chance I am wrong. This book is rich in its telling. Not just the current story but the very world it is in. Adrienne Woods really did create a whole new world, including a wonderful back-story.

Overall, a joy to read. One to re-read. While there are some grammar mistakes (especially lack of spacing between words), the story helps to compensate and overlook most of them. If you want Dragons, romance, action and friendship this is assuredly a must read for you!